Thursday, September 09, 2010

#347 Books & Films & TV






















Amazon UK have just reported improved profits for the last quarter as a consequence of my order for another six book.

Len Deighton's Action Cook Book might have been the very first cook book to grace our shelves and I bought this reprint just for the good vibes. Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing is a rip-off, the whole book could be printed on one page, boo. The Paris Review (vol 4) I bought this for a reason which I can't remember at the mo. The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sissons, hope it will convince me to carry on living la vida low-carb. Zadie Smith, I really liked her first novel but I don't think I'm going to like this; what can I say - pretentious, perhaps. Jamie Does 'cos he has some recipes from Madame Valette's restaurant in Bach that we visited (#344)












I'm enjoying a Shane Meadows (Brit film director) retrospective. This is England is a film about the 1980 punk scene. IMDB says: A story about a troubled boy growing up in England, set in 1983. He comes across a few skinheads on his way home from school, after a fight. They become his new best friends even like family. (It's not all that nice in places).

Now there is a four episode TV series in the UK, This is England '86 which carries on with the story, but some years later. I've seen the first - It's Proper.

So then I searched out Somers Town of which IMDB says: A black-and-white study of a social environment in London, concentrating on a pair of unlikely new friends and the girl they both fancy. It's good.